City Elections are taking place today in Houston and the subject of being Mayor came up. I’m sure we all have our own grand ideas of what we would do if we were Mayor. I have at least 10:
2. I’d change the old school laws that prohibit places like Dry Creek and Lola’s on 11th and Yale from selling alcohol. They should have the right to have 80+ beers on tap just like Hay Merchant and the many other “cool” bars in Houston.
2. I’d pass an additional ordinance that allowed Dogs anywhere and everywhere. If I want to run into Kroger real quick to grab a few items and don’t want to leave my dog in the car, I should be able to walk him right in there with me and grab that 1/2 gallon of milk and Honeycomb cereal.
3. In regards to the Astrodome, I would sell sticks of dynamite to the public at about $50 – $100 per stick. I’d then let everyone blow the place up one stick at a time. The funds from dynamite sales would be put to good use, like maybe add all kinds of cool stuff at the “dog park” by the bayou at the intersection of Montrose and Allen Pkwy.
4. I’d pass some bonds that allowed all of Westheimer rd, between Downtown and the Galleria to be completely redone. That stretch of road sucks!
5. Dogs would be allowed to be counted as a 2nd and 3rd person on all HOV lanes.
6. Would change the speed limit within HOV lanes to at least 90 or 100mph. That lanes should always be treated like a race track or drag strip.
7. Institute fines to mommy and baby play dates inside of Boomtown Coffee on 19th st. Five to eight crying 6 mth – 1 yr old babies inside that place at 9am is not fun.
8. Run a 6 month TV campaign reminding cyclists that they have plenty of bike trails and bike lanes for now and that they need to learn to share the road with cars and learn to bunny hop on curbs when needed.
9. Repeal the Bike Light law. If i want to ride without lights down dark streets at midnight i should be allowed to.
10. Repeal the “Don’t feed the Homeless” ordinance in Downtown and change it so that if you do decide to feed them you can only feed them large Hamburgers, Pizza, or Giros from Nikko Nikko’s in Market Square Park. Otherwise you’ll be ticketed.
These would be my first lines of business and I’d make it all happen on my first day. Day 2 – 7 I’d take vacation because I’m sure I’d be tired. Hector for Mayor!!!